Three poems

mmmmmkay, I'm gonna be like totally intellectual and post three poems I recently came across which i think are really really incredibly cool. probably violating some copyright stuff and all, but still. sue me.
Poetry is good, make love not war, peeps. Enjoy
---
Fire and Ice  - Robert Frost

 
Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.
---
 
I, Too, Sing America - Langston Hughes

 
I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.

They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,


But I laugh,

And eat well,

And grow strong.


Tomorrow,

I'll be at the table

When company comes.


Nobody'll dare

Say to me,

"Eat in the kitchen,"

Then.


Besides,

They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed--


I, too, am America.

---
 

'Fires' - Joseph Campbell

 

The little fires that Nature lights --

The scilla's lamp, the daffodil --

She quenches, when of stormy nights

Her anger whips the hill.

 

The fires she lifts against the cloud --

The irised bow, the burning tree --

She batters down with curses loud,

Nor cares that death should be.

 

The fire she kindles in the soul --

The poet's mood, the rebel's thought --

She cannot master, for their coal

In other mines is wrought.

---

No comments: